Anyway, as a nominee of the award, you have to mention the blogger who nominated you, tell 11 random things about yourself, answer the 11 questions by the blogger who nominated you, pass on the award to 11 other bloggers, and ask them your own 11 questions.
So, here are some random things about myself:
- I really, really, really want a cat. I've been wanting a cat for years, but the landlords in our area tend to be pet-unfriendly, so we are waiting until we can buy a house before we get our kitty.
- We are having no luck in the house hunting process so far, but I am still keeping my fingers crossed that we will find our new home sometime in the spring.
- My favorite color is blue, but in high school it used to be purple.
- At the end of our senior year in high school, we had to write a letter to ourselves to be opened ten years later (this was an assignment in English class). We were supposed to write about where we were in our lives at that time, and where we thought we would be in ten years. I was 17, so I wrote about how when I am 27, I will have finished my PhD, I will be working for NASA, and I will be married with a kid or two. By the time I turned 27, none of those things had happened. Surprise! Also, apparently I wasn't very concerned with work/life balance issues at that time.
- Some of the careers I had considered throughout my lifetime include: astronaut (you can guess how old I was at that time), computer scientist, chemist, chemical/materials engineer, product designer, science writer, blogger, furniture refinisher (I don't think this is a real job but it sounds like fun).
- When I was little, my favorite book was "Deniskiny rasskazy," which translates from Russian as "Denis's tales". I had read it so many times that to this day I remember most of the stories. In fact, I was ecstatic to discover that the book made it to America on our overseas immigration trip, and my parents still had it. Of course, I permanently "borrowed" it and re-read it again recently. Even though I am 29 now, it's still hilarious!
- I really enjoyed high school. There, I said it.
- Whenever I think about an ideal place to live, I imagine a walkable, urban city with well-developed public transportation, in a temperate climate that has seasons which are not too extreme, and a beach where one could enjoy swimming all summer long in the warm ocean/sea waters. The only city I could come up with that fits this criteria is Barcelona. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
|Glass Palace in Madrid. Not Barcelona, but I do love Madrid as well.|
- I am addicted to Sudoku.
- I am a terrible couch potato, and the only way to get me to exercise is to take me dancing, because I don't think of dancing as exercise.
- Speaking of which, I used to do competitive ballroom dancing in college.
Here are 11 things that Amanda asked:
1. Which is your favorite book? There are so many books that I love, but I would say that the one that has stayed with me the longest has been "Denis's tales" (see my list of random things above).
2. What is your favorite place in the World? My favorite place to be is sunbathing and swimming on a beach. I'll take any sunny beach, I'm not picky. Other than that, I love New York.
3. What makes you happy? Curling up on the couch with a good book for hours makes me content like a purring kitten.
4. If you could go anywhere in the World, where would that be? So many places! Italy, Greece, Thailand, Japan, Costa Rica, and Argentina all come to mind.
5. Do you have a job / are you happy with it? I do have a job as of three weeks ago, and I am still figuring it out. But I am happy about finally getting into the field of science writing.
6. What is your favorite food? Oh, food, how I love thee. My favorite is rather weird, maybe, but it is actually a popular Ukrainian dish: pork fat (aka salt pork aka pork belly, kinda) sliced into rectangles and placed on top of rectangles of rye bread, with some garlic on top. Yum.
7. Can you maybe share a recipe? (or link to a favorite one?) My really simple, go-to recipe that I turn to when I am hungry and don't have much time or patience to cook is fettuccine pasta with veggies. I saute some onion, mushrooms (any kind), garlic, and spinach in oil, place the veggies over the cooked pasta, dress with olive oil, add some grated asiago cheese and parmesan chese, and sprinkle some pine nuts. Dinner is ready!
8. What is your favorite song / band ever? My favorite song ever since high school is "I'll be missing you" by Puff Daddy. Don't laugh.
9. And your favorite cartoon as a child? My favorite cartoon as a child was Nu, pogodi!
10. What about your favorite movie? My favorite movie is Spaceballs. I can pretty much quote the entire script, and I start laughing at the funny bits ahead of time. This makes me a really annoying person to watch this movie with.
11. What is your most vivid childhood memory? One of my most vivid childhood memories is of me as a toddler. It was winter, and I was playing outside in the snow by myself. Suddenly, I was aware of being surrounded by so many dogs, some of whom were the same height or taller than me. I remember being terrified that the dogs were going to eat me, and there was no one around to rescue me! The experience was so traumatic that I developed a long-lasting fear of dogs. I've gotten better recently, but if I'm being honest, that is the reason I still don't like dogs.
Now, for the hard part. This award is meant to promote small blogs, but I don't think I can name eleven small blogs that I read that also know of this little blog's existence. So, I will nominate as many bloggers as I can come up with, even if some of them are not actually small blogs in my mind. Here they are:
Queer Skies Ahead
I'm Better In Real Life (not a small blog in my mind!)
far far away
happy sighs (also not a small blog, I think!)
And here are my 11 questions for the nominees:
1. What would you do if you won the lottery?
2. What book would you like to receive as a gift for your birthday?
3. What is your dream job/career, and is that what you do now?
4. If you could write a letter to your 15-year-old self, what would you tell her?
5. What is the most unusual place you've ever been to?
6. What is your favorite beverage/drink? (could be non-alcoholic or alcoholic, or both)
7. What is your favorite room in your house/apartment, and why?
8. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
9. What is the biggest project you are tackling right now?
10. Do you bargain at flea markets?
11. Do you vote in elections, if you are able to?
By the way, if I didn't nominate you, or if you don't have a blog, but would still like to participate in this conversations, please feel free to answer these questions in the comments! I would love to get to know you a bit better.
Edited to note: I am an idiot and therefore I accidentally deleted this post from blogger. Now I am reposting it, but the comments have been lost. :( My apologies.